A China Labor Watch report detailing 15 Wal-Mart suppliers found that some pay as little as half the minimum daily wage, require mandatory overtime or provide no health insurance. It said one company provides a single bathroom for 2,000 employees. [International Herald Tribune, 12/8/06]
SAM'S CLUB PULLS RECALLED BEEF PATTIES
- Cargill Recalls Beef Patties on E. Coli Scare [Reuters via New York Times]
Agribusiness giant Cargill Inc. said this weekend it is recalling about 844,812 pounds of frozen beef patties due to possible E. coli contamination after investigators found four cases of illness linked to a division of Wal-Mart Stores Inc. in Minnesota.
- Sam's Club Recalls Meat After Illness [Associated Press via New York Times]
The Sam's Club warehouse chain has pulled a brand of ground beef patties from its shelves nationwide after four children who ate the food, produced by Cargill Inc., developed E. coli illness.
- Wal-Mart Unit's Burger Recall Unlikely To Hurt Stock Much [Dow Jones via CNN Money]
The move by discount warehouse food chain Sam's Club to pull ground beef patties from its stores could pressure shares of parent Wal-Mart when markets open on Monday, a trio of portfolio managers said Saturday.
- More Beef Recalled Because Of E. Coli Concerns [Consumer Affairs]
Wal-Mart said it has removed the American Chef's Selection Angus Beef patties from its Sam's Club locations and will provide refunds to customers who have purchased the recalled hamburger patties.
- Topps shuts down after beef recall [Associated Press via Baltimore Sun]
Topps Meat Co. today said it was closing its business, six days after it was forced to issue the second-largest beef recall in U.S. history and 67 years after it first opened its doors. The decision will cost 87 people their jobs, Topps said.
- Ground Beef Recall Is End of Meat Company [Washington Post]
Topps, whose customers included Wal-Mart nationally and Giant Food in the Washington area, sold several types of processed meat, including packaged hamburger patties and turkey burgers.